Burrington (Holy Trinity)
BURRINGTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Brent with Wrington, E. division of Somerset, 12 miles (S. W.) from Bristol; containing 531 inhabitants. It is in a fertile district, and comprises 2009a. 2r. 9p., of which about 309 acres are arable, 662 pasture, and 1032 uncultivated down: the village is romantically situated on the northern side of the Mendip range of hills. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Inhabitants, subject to the approval of the rector of Wrington: the rector's tithes have been commuted for £33, and the glebe comprises 17½ acres; the perpetual curate's have been commuted for £147, and his glebe comprises 9½ acres. The church contains some fine screen-work. An ancient catacomb was discovered in 1795, containing about 50 skeletons.