Burnham-Thorpe (St. Peter)
BURNHAM-THORPE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Brothercross, W. division of Norfolk, 1½ mile (E. by S.) from Burnham-Westgate; containing 396 inhabitants. This place anciently belonged to the Calthorp family, of whom Sir William de Calthorp, in the 55th of Henry III., obtained a grant of a market to be held on Saturday, and a fair on the eve, day, and morrow of St. Peter ad Vincula, both of which have been long discontinued. The parish comprises 2328a. 1r. 23p. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 10., and in the gift of the Earl of Orford: the tithes have been commuted for £697, and the glebe comprises 30 acres, with a commodious and handsome house, erected by the Rev. D. Everard. The church is chiefly in the decorated and later English styles, with a square embattled tower; in the chancel is a fine monument of brass to Sir William de Calthorp, also a monument to the Rev. Edmund Nelson, father of Lord Nelson, the renowned naval commander, who was born here, on the 29th of Sept., 1758, during the incumbency of his father.