Burnham-Overy (St. Clement)
BURNHAM-OVERY (St. Clement), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Brothercross, W. division of Norfolk, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Burnham-Westgate; containing 613 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the coast, and comprises 2298a. 2r. 9p., of which about 986 acres are arable, 1062 pasture and marsh, 155 woodland and water, and 77 salt-marsh and common. On a creek which crosses the marshes to the ocean, and is navigable for vessels drawing 8½ feet of water, is a small port, within the jurisdiction of that of Wells, and where a considerable trade is carried on in corn, coal, and malt, as well as in oysters, of which there is an excellent bed in the offing. The village contains an old cross, and, with the church, stands on an eminence. The living is a vicarage, united,' with a mediety of the consolidated rectories of Burnham Norton and Ulph, to the living of Burnham-Sutton, and valued in the king's books at £8. The great tithes have been commuted for £244, and the vicarial for £155; the glebe comprises 18½ acres. The church is chiefly in the early English style. There was another church in the same inclosure, dedicated to St. Andrew, no remains of which now exist. Peterstone House stands on the site of an hospital and chapel, dedicated to St. Peter de Patra, and anciently belonging to a religious community.