Burnham-Norton (St. Margaret)
BURNHAM-NORTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Docking, hundred of Brothercross, W. division of Norfolk, 1¼ mile (N.) from Burnham-Westgate; containing 166 inhabitants. It comprises 3226a. 3r. 36p., of which about 607 acres are arable, 506 pasture and meadow, and 2062 woodland, saltmarshes, common, &c. The living, consolidated with that of Burnham-Ulph, is a rectory divided into medieties, partly annexed, with the living of Burnham-Overy, to that of Burnham-Sutton, and partly annexed to the living of Westgate. The tithes of Norton have been commuted for £253, and the glebe comprises 32¼ acres. The church, which is situated about half a mile to the south of the village, near a fertile valley, contains portions of the several styles of English architecture, and has a circular tower: there are remains of a beautiful carved screen; the font is Norman. A Carmelite monastery was founded about 1241, by Sir Ralph de Hemenhale and Sir William de Calthorp, Knts.; the revenue of which, at the time of the Dissolution, was granted to William, Lord Cobham, and estimated at £2. 5. 4. The remains of the entrance gateway, which has a fine groined roof, are still to be seen. Robert Bale, the historian, was prior of this house, and, dying in the reign of Henry VII., was interred here.