Burneside

BURNESIDE, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Kendal; comprising the townships of Strickland-Ketel and Strickland-Roger, and containing 878 inhabitants. The manor, sometimes written Burnshead, belonged to an ancient family of that name, with whose heiress it passed to the Bellinghams, by whom it was long held; it afterwards came to the Braithwaites, Shepherds, and Lowthers. The chapelry is pleasantly situated on the river Kent, which flows through the village, separating it into two parts connected by a bridge. The area is 5427a. 2r. 19p., whereof 3133 acres are arable, 600 meadow and pasture, 65 woodland and plantations, and the remainder land newly inclosed; the scenery is picturesque, and the soil a light sand. The Kendal and Windermere railway passes through the chapelry, at a distance of 200 yards from Burneside. In the village is a paper manufactory, commenced in 1832, and employing between thirty and forty hands. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £109; patrons, the Landowners; impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge: the college tithes have been commuted for £216. 10., and those of the vicar of Kendal for £36. 1. The chapel was rebuilt between 1823 and 1826, and consecrated in the latter year; of the expense, £1300, about £900 were raised by subscription, and the remainder by a rate. The school here was enlarged pursuant to the will of Mr. Alan Fisher, of Hundhow, dated Oct. 1781, whereby he endowed it with £600; this was augmented by a bequest of Mr. Joseph Harling, in 1802, and the sums having been invested in the funds, produce an income of £27. 12., out of which £8. 3. 6. are reserved for charitable and other purposes. In a field is an obelisk, erected by the late J. Bateman, Esq.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z