BURNASTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Etwall, union of Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 5½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Derby; containing 143 inhabitants. In 1672 the Bonningtons sold the manor to Sir Samuel Sleigh; it was inherited by his grandson, Samuel Chetham, Esq., and afterwards devolved to the Cottons. The township comprises 888 acres, of a strong soil, and lies a little to the south of the Derby and Uttoxeter road. It pays a tithe-rent of £59. 18. 6. A small chapel or lectureroom was built in 1839. The old hall is an ancient half-timbered house, with pointed gables.