Buriton (St. Mary)
BURITON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Petersfield, hundred of Finch-Dean, Petersfield and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from Petersfield; containing, with the tythings of Nursted and Weston, 993 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from London to Portsmouth, and comprises by measurement 6151 acres, of which 2305 are arable, 1594 meadow and pasture, 786 woodland, and 1405 uninclosed common. The manufacture of parchment is carried on to a small extent. The living is a rectory, with the living of Petersfield annexed, valued in the king's books at £32. 16. 10½.; net income, £1194; patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The tithes of Buriton have been commuted for £1084. 7., and there is a glebe of 62 acres. The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style, with a square tower, which was rebuilt, after having been destroyed by fire about the year 1721; the interior is neatly arranged, and contains a monument to the Rev. William Lowth, rector of the parish; and father of Bishop Lowth. Gibbon, the Roman historian, spent his early years on his patrimonial estate in the parish.