Burham (St. Mary)
BURHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Malling, hundred of Larkfield, Upper South division of the lathe of Aylesford, and W. division of Kent, 1¾ mile (N. N. W.) from Aylesford; containing 380 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Medway, and on the east by a range of chalk hills, near which are the Burham Downs, which intersect the parish. The area is 1718 acres, whereof 179 are common or waste, and 151 woodland; about 20 acres are planted with hops. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £191; patrons and impropriators, Edward Kingsley, Esq., and others. The church is situated near the river. A spring, called Holy Garden, anciently attracted numerous pilgrims by the supposed miraculous efficacy of its waters.