Burghill (St. Mary)
BURGHILL (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Grimsworth, union and county of Hereford, 4 miles (N. W. by N.) from Hereford; containing, with the township of Tillington, 863 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 3674 acres, of which 1800 are arable and garden-ground, 1400 meadow and pasture, and nearly 400 woodland; the surface is undulated, and the soil consists of clay, loam, and gravel. The road from Hereford to Weobley and Pembridge passes through. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 2.; net income, £94; patron, B. Biddulph, Esq., to whom, with others, the impropriation belongs: the glebe consists of 27 acres, exclusive of augmentation lands. The church, which contains 350 sittings, was thoroughly restored about twenty years ago, at a cost of £2000: among the antiquities in the interior are a curious font of metal, a rood-loft, and the altar-tomb of Sir John Milbourne and his lady. There is a barrow adjoining the churchyard.