Burgh (St. Botolph)
BURGH (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of Woodbridge, hundred of Carlford, E. division of Suffolk, 3¾ miles (N. W.) from Woodbridge; containing 266 inhabitants. This place is by most antiquaries identified with the Combretonium of Antoninus, as the distances in the Itinerary correspond with it exactly, and not with Brettenham, as some have supposed. The parish comprises by measurement 1225 acres: the soil is partly of a mixed quality, and partly a heavy clay; and the surface is level. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 4., and in the patronage of Frederick Barne, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £348. 15. 6., and the glebe comprises 11 acres. The church, a neat ancient structure in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower, is built within a Roman encampment, of which part of the vallum still remains visible. There was anciently a commandery of the order of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem.