Burgh (St. Peter), or Wheatacre-Burgh
BURGH (St. Peter), or Wheatacre-Burgh, a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E. division of Norfolk, 6¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Beccles; containing 312 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the north, south, and east by the river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Suffolk; and comprises by measurement 860 acres, whereof 583 are low marshy grazing-land, about 15 wood, and the remainder arable. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 6. 8.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. Boycatt: the tithes have been commuted for £370, and the glebe comprises 15½ acres. The church is an ancient structure in the early English style, with a tower of brick. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Thirteen acres of land were allotted to the poor at the inclosure of the parish, in 1811. In a field adjoining the churchyard are some remains of what is supposed to have been a religious house.