Bures, Mount (St. John)
BURES, MOUNT (St. John), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 6 miles (S. S. E.) from Sudbury; containing 282 inhabitants. This place takes its distinguishing affix from an artificial mount near the church, one acre in extent at the base, and planted on its summit with stately oak-trees and other timber. The parish is pleasantly situated on the banks of the river Stour, and comprises by measurement 1420 acres, of which 1193 are arable, 130 pasture, and 13 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. John Brett: the tithes have been commuted for £445, and the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a tower between them, surmounted by a wooden spire. There was formerly a chantry, to which belonged a small chapel in the churchyard, now converted into two tenements.