Bures (St. Mary)
BURES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Sudbury, hundred of Babergh, W. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (S. E. by S.) from Sudbury; containing 1596 inhabitants. This parish, including a hamlet of the same name, containing 612 persons, and locally in the county of Essex, comprises by measurement 4127 acres, of which 2542 are in that part of the parish separated from Essex by the navigable river Stour. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 0½.; patron and impropriator, O. Hanbury, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £574, and the vicarial for £246: the impropriate tithes of the hamlet of Bures have been commuted for £387, and the vicarial for £81; the vicar's glebe comprises 13 acres.