BURCOMBE, SOUTH, a parish, in the union of Wilton, hundred of Cawden and Cadworth, Salisbury and Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Wilton; containing, with the tything of North Burcombe and part of the hamlet of Ditchampton, 402 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Salisbury to Shaftesbury, and comprises by computation 1500 acres, the soil of which is partly chalk, and partly clay, alternated with sandy loam; the surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by the river Nadder. The living is a perpetual curacy, with the chapel of St. John, in Wilton, and has a net income of £52; the Earl of Pembroke is impropriator, and the Master of St. John's hospital, Wilton, patron. The tithes have been commuted for £170, and the glebe consists of 15 poles of land. On the downs are several large barrows.