Bunny (St. Mary)
BUNNY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 7½ miles (S.) from Nottingham; containing 360 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the road from London to Nottingham, through Loughborough; and comprises by computation 2000 acres. Bunny Park, the seat of Lord Rancliffe, to the east of the village, is an ancient mansion of brick ornamented with stone, with a massive gateway entrance. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of Bradmore, valued in the king's books at £6. 14.; net income, £425; patron, the Rev. J. R. W. Boyer. The tithes were partly commuted for land in 1797; the glebe now contains about 227 acres. The church is a spacious and well-built edifice, partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, with a tower surmounted by a crocketed spire; and contains several monuments to the family of Parkyns, who became proprietors of the united parishes, by purchase, in the reign of Elizabeth. A school, erected in 1700, has an endowment in land producing £60 per annum, the gift of Lady Parkyns, who also founded an almshouse for four widows, and endowed it with £16 per annum, augmented with £5 annually by her husband, Sir Thomas Parkyns. The same lady assigned an annuity of £30 for apprenticing poor boys.