Bulwick (St. Nicholas)
BULWICK (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Oundle, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 8 miles (W. S. W.) from Wansford; containing, with Bulwick-Short-Leys, extra-parochial, 487 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the road from Stamford to Kettering, is watered by the Willow brook, and comprises by computation 2000 acres, of which about 200 are wood: the soil, near the village, is of sandy quality, and in other parts a fertile clay. Limestone and iron-ore are found, and the latter appears to have been wrought, as vestiges of ancient mines may still be traced. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 7. 1.; net income, £366; patron, Thomas Tryon, Esq. The greater portion of the tithes was commuted, some time since, for 300 acres of land: there is a good glebe-house. The church is partly in the decorated and partly in the later English style, with a finelyproportioned tower and spire; it contains three stone stalls and some screen-work, and has lately been repewed. Charles Tryon, Esq., in 1705 bequeathed £200, which, in 1805, were invested in the purchase of £400 three per cent, consols., with a portion of the interest of which, together with the rental of some lands, a school is supported. Near Bulwick Hall is a chalybeate spring.