Bulwell (St. Mary)
BULWELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 3¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Nottingham; containing 1577 inhabitants. This place derives its name from a copious spring called "Bull-well," to which the cattle from the adjoining forest of Sherwood, previously to its inclosure, were accustomed to resort. The parish includes the ancient soc of Hemshill. It is situated on the river Leen, and comprises by measurement 1631 acres, mostly arable and meadow land in nearly equal portions, and lying on both banks of the river; 177 acres are common or waste. The substratum is chiefly limestone, which produces lime of excellent quality, and coal abounds, and is extensively wrought. The population is partly employed in the manufacture of lace and the weaving of stockings: there are three corn-mills, and one for the spinning of cotton, all propelled by water, and several bleaching-grounds and printing-establishments connected with the cotton manufacture, in which about 300 persons are employed. The village is pleasantly situated near the river, and contains many substantial and well-built houses of stone. Courts leet and baron are held by the lord of the manor, who has the power to prove wills and grant administrations, and to hold a court of copyhold for the manor, in which the custom of Borough-English prevails. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 5. 10., and in the patronage of the Rev. Alfred Padley, who is lord of the manor: the tithes have been commuted for £273. 10., and the glebe comprises 60 acres. The church is a small neat edifice, situated to the east of the village, on the highest ground in the parish; it was enlarged about the year 1775. There are places of worship for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and another sect; and a free school endowed with four acres of land, producing £20 per annum.