Bulkington (St. James)
BULKINGTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Nuneaton, Kirby division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick, 4½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Nuneaton; containing, with the hamlets of Marston-Jabbet, Ryton, Weston, and Wolvershill, and parts of those of Barnacle and Bramcott, 1831 inhabitants. The parish is traversed on the north by the road from Nuneaton to Lutterworth, and on the south by that from Coventry to Hinckley. The Ashbyde-la-Zouch canal crosses the north-western angle, the Coventry canal forming a junction with it a little to the west of the parish, and the Oxford canal uniting with the latter on the south. Bulkington comprises by computation 4315 acres: the soil is chiefly clay, alternated with sand, and is generally productive; the surface is flat, and the river Aroker, which has its source in the vicinity, flows through part of the parish. There is abundance of excellent freestone. Most of the inhabitants are employed in the ribbon-manufacture. A pleasure-fair is held, beginning on St. James' day, and continuing for a week; and there is a statute-fair for the hiring of servants, on the first Wednesday after the 19th of September. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 10. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £253. The great tithes belong to Oakham and Uppingham grammar schools, and have been commuted for £315; the small tithes have been commuted for £26: there is a glebehouse, with a glebe of 120 acres. The church was enlarged about 20 years since, by the addition of 350 sittings, of which 300 are free; it contains a marble font, resting on a shaft of Numidian marble brought from Rome, and the table in the chancel is covered with a sculptured slab: the late Mr. Hayward, the eminent sculptor, lies buried in the north aisle. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Independents.