Bugthorpe (St. Andrew)
BUGTHORPE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Pocklington, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Pocklington; containing 296 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 1990 acres; the soil is a strong clay, and the surface level with rising ground to the north, east, and south. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £20; net income, £111; patron, the Archbishop of York. Land was given under an inclosure act, in 1777, in lieu of the great tithes. The church is an ancient structure with a square tower.