BUGLAWTON, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Astbury, union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 1 mile (N. E. by E.) from Congleton, on the road to Buxton; containing 1864 inhabitants. This was a seat of the Touchet family, from nearly the time of the Conquest. Sir John Touchet, who distinguished himself in the wars with France, and was slain in an engagement with the Spanish fleet before Rochelle, married the sister and coheir of Nicholas, Lord Audley, in consequence of which union his posterity enjoyed the title of Lord Audley. In 1565 the manor belonged to the Bagnall family, from whom it passed to the Mainwarings, and subsequently to the Staffords and Egertons. The township comprises 4048 acres, of which the surface is undulated, and the soil clay and loam, with rock: there is a good stone-quarry. The rivers Dane and Davenshaw propel five silk-mills, three cotton-mills, and a corn-mill, which afford employment to the population. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a house; patron, the Rector of Astbury. The tithes have been commuted for £240. The church, dedicated to St. John, was erected in 1840, and is in the Norman style, with a tower. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; and adjacent to the church is an excellent school. A mineral spring, the water of which contains sulphur, a small quantity of Epsom salts, and calcareous earth, has proved serviceable in scorbutic diseases.