Budock (St. Budoke)
BUDOCK (St. Budoke), a parish, in the union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Falmouth; containing 1979 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the east by Falmouth bay and the English Channel, and crossed in one part by the road from Falmouth to Penryn, was distinguished for a collegiate church erected on Glaseney Moor in 1720, in honour of the Blessed Virgin and St. Thomas of Canterbury, by Walter Bronescombe, Bishop of Exeter. It continued till the Dissolution, at which time its revenue amounted to £205. 10. 6.; the buildings are said to have occupied a site of three acres, to have been inclosed with an embattled wall, and to have had a subterraneous communication with the church of Gluvias. Within the parish are Pendennis Castle, and Dunstanville and Green-Bank terraces, forming the principal part of the Barton of Penwarris, and adjoining the town of Falmouth. The parish comprises 3899 acres, of which 236 are common or waste; the surface is diversified with hill and dale, and generally well cultivated; and the views from the higher parts, both of sea and land, are extensive and commanding. Granite is largely quarried for exportation to London, at a place called the Budock Rocks, and near Swan Pool, a lake about a quarter of a mile in circumference, and separated from the sea by a bar of sand: there is also a copper-mine. The living is a vicarage, united to that of St. Gluvias: the tithes of Budock have been commuted for £800, of which £420 are payable to the vicar. The church is pleasantly situated on a hill; and contains portions in the later English style, and some interesting monuments to the family of Killegrew, of whom Sir John Killegrew was governor of Pendennis Castle in the reign of Henry VIII. Penwarris chapel was built in 1828, at a cost of about £1800, on Dunstanville-terrace; it contains 594 sittings, 307 of which are free, and is in the gift of the Vicar. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.