Bucknell (St. Peter)
BUCKNELL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Bicester; containing 287 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1789 acres, of which 1254 are arable, 500 pasture, and 35 woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 16. 0½., and in the patronage of New College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure, partly Norman, and partly in the early English style, with a central tower between the nave and chancel, which latter contains several memorials to former rectors; in the nave are monuments to the Trotman family, lords of the manor: the south entrance has an enriched doorway, in the early English style. At a short distance from the church, near the verge of a coppice, are the foundations of numerous houses that constituted the village of Saxenton, the greater part of which was destroyed by the Danes, about the year 912.