Bucknell (St. Mary)
BUCKNELL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Knighton, partly in the hundred of Wigmore, county of Hereford, but chiefly in the hundred of Purslow, S. division of Salop, 12 miles (W.) from Ludlow; containing 532 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2818 acres, of which 1236 form the township of Buckton with Coxall, in Herefordshire: the surface is varied by hill and dale, and the river Teme partly bounds the parish on the south. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; patrons, the Grocers' Company, London; appropriator of the remainder of the great tithes, the Bishop of Hereford. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £95, and the vicarial for £304; there is a good glebe-house, with a glebe of nearly 58 acres.