Bucklesham (St. Mary)
BUCKLESHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodbridge, hundred of Colneis, E. division of Suffolk, 5 miles (E. S. E.) from Ipswich, containing 255 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1799 acres, of which 41 are common or waste. The soil is of a mixed quality, the greater portion light; and till within the last few years, a considerable portion was uninclosed heath: the surface is boldly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by a stream which flows through the parish into the river Deben. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 1. 8., and in the patronage of the Rev. W. Walford: the tithes have been commuted for about £500, making the net value of the living, with glebe, £460; the rectory-house is a commodious residence. The church is a neat ancient structure. The crag-pits in the parish contain a great quantity of shells, generally considered to be antediluvian remains; bones of fishes, in a state of petrifaction, have also been found.