Buckland, West (St. Peter)
BUCKLAND, WEST (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of South Molton, hundred of Braunton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N. W.) from South Molton; containing 275 inhabitants. It comprises 1339 acres, of which 259 are common or waste: stone for the roads is quarried in several parts. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Baroness Bassett: the tithes have been commuted for £190; there is a good glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 32 acres. The church has a carved wooden screen, highly enriched, separating the nave from the chancel. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.