Buckland-in-Dovor (St. Andrew)
BUCKLAND-in-Dovor (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Dovor, hundred of Bewsborough, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent, 1¾ mile (N. W.) from Dovor; containing 1472 inhabitants. It comprises 978 acres, of which 35 are in wood: the soil is partly clay and partly loam, much interspersed with flints; the surface is diversified with hills of comparative sterility, and with valleys producing abundant crops of grain. The lower grounds are intersected by the small river Dour, over which a neat bridge of brick has been built at the village. The manufacture of paper is carried on in two large mills; and a fair is held on the 4th of September. The living is a discharged perpetual curacy, endowed with the vicarial tithes, and with £12 per annum payable out of the great tithes; net income, £139; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. In 1141, an hospital for lepers was founded, and dedicated to St. Bartholomew, but there are no vestiges of it: on digging near its site in 1765, a leaden vessel filled with silver coins struck in the reigns of Edward II. and Edward III., was discovered.