Buckland-Filleigh (St. Mary)
BUCKLAND-FILLEIGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Torrington, hundred of Shebbear, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 6½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Hatherleigh; containing 275 inhabitants. It comprises by computation about 1000 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 16. 0½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter; net income, £218: the glebe comprises 59 acres. The church is a handsome structure in the decorated and later English styles, with a square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains some elegant marble monuments to the memory of the Fortescue family, for several centuries proprietors of the parish.