Buckland-Brewer (St. Mary and St. Benedict)
BUCKLAND-BREWER (St. Mary and St. Benedict), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Great Torrington and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Bideford; containing 1103 inhabitants, of whom 312 are in the village. This place derives its distinguishing appellation from its ancient proprietor, Lord Brewer, whose seat, Orleigh Court, is still remaining: he gave a portion of the manor to the abbot of Dunkeswell, who obtained the privilege of a weekly market and an annual fair. The parish comprises 5017 acres, of which 866 are common or waste: there are some quarries of stone, which is raised chiefly for the roads. Fairs are held on Tuesday in Whitsun-week, and the 16th of November. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of East Putford annexed, valued in the king's books at £25. 17. 3½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the great tithes of Buckland-Brewer, payable to the Ven. Archdeacon More, have been commuted for £240, and the vicarial for £235. 10.; the glebe comprises about 9 acres, with a house. The church, anciently in the Norman and early English styles, was rebuilt in 1790, and is now a spacious edifice in the Grecian style; some of the former details have been preserved, and among them an enriched Norman arched doorway. In the old church was a small college dedicated to St. Michael, of which, at the Dissolution, the revenue was £8. 7. 6. There is a chapel of ease at Bulkworthy; and the parish contains places of worship for Arminians and Wesleyans.