Buckland (St. Peter)
BUCKLAND (St. Peter), a parish, in the union, and First division of the hundred, of Reigate, E. division of Surrey, 2¼ miles (W.) from Reigate; containing 364 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Dorking to Reigate, and bounded on the south by the river Mole, comprises by computation 1800 acres. The soil is partly chalk, forming a portion of the great ridge extending through Surrey, and partly a blue clay, alternated with sand; the surface is hilly, and the surrounding scenery very pleasing. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 12. 11., and in the patronage of All Souls' College, Oxford; net income, £337. The church consists of a nave and chancel; in some of the windows are the remains of stained glass.