Buckland (St. Michael)
BUCKLAND (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Chipping-Campden; containing, with the hamlet of Laverton, 377 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 6. 8.; net income, £222; patron, Sir T. Phillips, Bart.: the tithes were commuted in 1779, for land and a money payment. The church is a fine structure, in the later English style; some of the windows contain specimens of ancient stained glass. James Thynne, by deed in 1707, gave land now producing upwards of £100 per annum, for teaching poor children, and other charitable purposes.