Buckland, cum Carswell (St. Mary)
BUCKLAND, cum Carswell (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Farringdon, hundred of Ganfield, county of Berks, 3¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Farringdon; containing 946 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Oxford to Bath, and bounded on the north by the navigable river Isis, on the banks of which a wharf has been constructed. Some quarries of good buildingstone are extensively wrought; and a pleasure-fair is held in August. Buckland House, the seat of Sir J. Throckmorton, Bart., was erected in 1757, and is pleasantly situated. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £18. 4. 7.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol: the great tithes have been commuted for £863. 10., and the vicarial for £275. 8.; the glebe comprises 30 acres. The church, a neat edifice, contains a monument to a Duke of Somerset, who was interred here. There is a place of worship for Baptists, and a Roman Catholic chapel is attached to Buckland House.