Buckenham-Ferry (St. Nicholas)
BUCKENHAM-FERRY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union and hundred of Blofield, E. division of Norfolk, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Norwich; containing 60 inhabitants. It comprises 908a. 1r. 14p., of which 133 acres are wood and water, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; the village is pleasantly situated on the river Yare, over which is a ferry. The Norwich and Yarmouth railway passes through the parish. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Hassingham consolidated, valued in the king's books at £6, and in the gift of Sir W. B. Proctor, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £130, and the glebe comprises 37 acres, with a house. The church contains portions of the early, decorated, and later English styles, and consists of a nave and chancel, with an ancient octagonal tower: in the year 1824, the Rev. T. Beauchamp put in a splendid east window of stained glass, containing representations of St. Nicholas, the Four Evangelists, and others. The Romans are supposed to have had a minor station here, relics having been discovered in the vicinity. There is a farmhouse, built of part of the materials of the old manor-house formerly the property of Sir W. Godsalve, to whom Queen Elizabeth, having crossed the ferry here, paid a visit: the parlours are boarded with wainscot, and a carved mantel-piece is ornamented with the arms of the Godsalve family.