Buckby, Long (St. Lawrence)
BUCKBY, LONG (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Daventry, hundred of Guilsborough, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (N. E.) from Daventry; containing, with a part of the hamlet of Murcott, 2145 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 3470 acres. The soil is generally a rich loam, alternated with some portions of sand and gravel; the surface is pleasingly undulated, and the lower grounds are watered by several brooks. The river Nene has its source within three miles; the Grand Junction canal passes through the parish; and the Crick station on the London and Birmingham railway, is about two miles and a half distant from the town. The town is above a mile long, with a market square, and there are a few good houses. Shoes are made to a great extent; a market is held every Tuesday, and two fairs annually. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £10, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Lichfield, with a net income of £150, and a house; impropriators, Sir James Hay Langham, Bart., and the bishop, who has leased his portion to J. King, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1765 and 1771. The church is a plain modern structure with an ancient embattled tower. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists and Independents. The Rev. Langton Freeman, in 1783, gave £400, which were laid out in land at present yielding £20 per annum, for the endowment of a school, now conducted on the national system. Near Mr. Allen's house is a large artificial mound, evidently of Roman formation.