BRUSHFORD, a parish, in the union of Crediton, hundred of North Tawton, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 3 miles (E.) from Winkleigh; containing 144 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the north bank of the river Taw, and near the road from Bideford to Exeter, comprises by computation 1300 acres. A few women are occasionally employed in weaving serges by hand-loom. Adjoining the churchyard is a green of about 3 acres, on which are marks of the foundations of houses, supposed to have been the ancient village, which, according to tradition, was destroyed by fire, and of which only one house is remaining. The living is a perpetual curacy; patron and impropriator, G. Luxton, Esq. The church, a small ancient edifice in the early English style, is situated on a hill overlooking the river; the chancel is divided from the nave by a carved oak screen, and contains a good painting of Queen Anne. Abbotsham, a farmhouse in the parish, is thought to have been the occasional residence of the abbot of Hartland, to which abbey this parish was annexed.