Bruntingthorpe, or Brentingthorpe (St. Mary)
BRUNTINGTHORPE, or Brentingthorpe (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5½ miles (N. E.) from Lutterworth; containing 423 inhabitants. It comprises 1148a. 3r. 19p., of which about 300 acres are arable, and the rest pasture; the soil consists of sand, gravel, and clay. The population is partly employed in the stocking-manufacture. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10. 7. 6.; net income, £380; patron, John Bridges, Esq. Under an inclosure act, in 1776, land and a money payment were assigned in lieu of tithes. The church is an ancient edifice of pebbles; and contains an altar-piece painted by the late rector, the Rev. T. Freeman.