Broughton, Nether (St. Mary)
BROUGHTON, NETHER (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5¾ miles (N.W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 412 inhabitants.. It comprises 2225 acres. The soil is a stiff but fertile clay, well adapted for pasture, to which the greater portion of the land is appropriated; the surface is generally flat, and in most parts surrounded by the hills which inclose the vale of Belvoir. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11. 5. 7½.; net income, £347; patrons, the Hon. P. P. Bouverie and the Rev. W. G. Sawyer. The tithes of the parish, with certain exceptions, were commuted for land in 1764. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a square embattled tower.