Broughton-Gifford (St. Mary)
BROUGHTON-GIFFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Bradford, Westbury and N. divisions, and Trowbridge and Bradford subdivisions, of Wilts, 2 miles (W.) from Melksham; containing 741 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Melksham to Bradford, and bounded on the southeast by the Lower Avon, comprises 1677 acres, of which 39 are common or waste; the soil is good, and great quantities of gravel are dug. The population is partly employed by the manufacturers of Trowbridge, Melksham, and Staverton, in the weaving of cloth, in which about 300 persons, and many of their children, are engaged. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 3. 11½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe comprises nearly 33 acres. The church is a spacious and ancient structure, with a massive square embattled tower. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans.