Broughton, Church (St. Michael)
BROUGHTON, CHURCH (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Burton-Upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 8½ miles (E.) from Uttoxeter; containing, with the hamlet of Sapperton, 652 inhabitants. It comprises by computation, 2224 acres. The manor was granted by Edward VI., in 1552, to Sir William Cavendish; the Duke of Devonshire is now lord, and principal owner. The village is of pleasing appearance. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 13. 4.; net income, £228; patron, John Broadhurst, Esq.: the tithes of the manor were commuted for land and a money payment in 1773. The church is a venerable edifice with an embattled tower; the north side has been rebuilt, and the whole was repaired and new-pewed in 1845: in the chancel are three stone stalls. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. A school was founded about 1745, by subscription, to which the Duke of Devonshire was the principal contributor; and the sum raised was invested in land, the rental of which is about £30 per annum.