Broughton, Brant (St. Helen)
BROUGHTON, BRANT (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (E.) from Newark; containing 650 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the river Brant, to the west of which, at a short distance, and in the same direction, runs the river Witham; the road from Newark to Sleaford traverses the parish on the south. It comprises by admeasurement 2877 acres, of which about 1040 are arable, and the rest pasture and meadow: stone is quarried for the repair of roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £35. 13. 4., and in the gift of Sir R. Sutton, Bart.: the tithes have been commuted for £691. 1., and there is a good glebe-house, with a glebe of about 5 acres. The church has a handsome spire which rises to an elevation of 50 yards. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and the Society of Friends. Bishop Warburton was rector of the parish, and is supposed, during his residence here of 20 years, to have written his Legation of Moses, and other works.