Broughton-Astley (St. Mary)
BROUGHTON-ASTLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 5½ miles (N. by W.) from Lutterworth; containing, with the townships of Broughton-Astley, Prime Thorp, and Sutton-in-the-Elms, 728 inhabitants, of whom 306 are in the firstnamed township. The parish comprises 2100 acres, whereof 1370 are pasture, and 602 arable, exclusive of glebe. A station on the Midland railway is situated here. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 10. 5.; patron, the Rev. Charles Fletcher, who is lord of the manor: the tithes have been commuted for £519. 12., and there are 130 acres of glebe, which are well wooded. Besides the parish church, is a place of worship for Baptists. A small school has an endowment by Zaccheus Duckett, who, in 1806, left £100 for that purpose.