Broughton (St. Andrew)
BROUGHTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Kettering, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2¾ miles (S. W.) from Kettering; containing 593 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the road from Kettering to Northampton, comprises 1675a. 1r. 20p. There are some quarries of stone applicable to rough building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 9. 7., and in the patronage of the Duke of Buccleuch: the tithes were commuted at the inclosure of the parish, for 320 acres of land, valued at about £440 per annum. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. On the inclosure 61 acres, now producing £95 per annum, were allotted in exchange for land bequeathed by Edward Hunt, in 1674, for poor widows and other aged persons of Broughton, Kettering, and Rothwell.