BROTTON, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Guisborough, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York; containing 468 inhabitants, of whom 319 are in the township, 6 miles (N. E. by E.) from Guisborough. This place is styled in the Domesday survey Broctune. The chapelry includes the townships of Brotton, Skinningrove, and Kilton; is situated on the shore of the North Sea, and on the road between Guisborough and Whitby; and comprises by measurement 3742 acres, of which a great portion is arable land. The surface is mountainous on the seacoast, and in other parts generally diversified with hills: the soil is a hard clay, occasionally of a good quality, and the scenery in many places interspersed with wood and plantations. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Skelton: the tithes of the township belong to the Archbishop of York, and have been commuted for £340. The church, erected in 1777, at the expense of the parishioners, is a plain edifice, standing on the summit of an elevated ridge which is washed by the sea. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Fossils, agates, snake-stones, and other petrifactions have been found.