Brotherton (St. Edward the Confessor)
BROTHERTON (St. Edward the Confessor), a parish, in the Lower division of the wapentake of Barkstone-Ash, W. riding of York; containing 1744 inhabitants, of whom 1613 are in the township of Brotherton, 1 mile (N. N. W.) from Ferry-Bridge. The village of Brotherton, anciently called Broyerton, is memorable as the birthplace of Prince Thomas (Thomas de Brotherton), of whom Margaret, second wife of Edward I., was suddenly delivered in June 1300, after taking the amusement of hunting in the neighbourhood. The young prince was created earl of Norfolk, and earl marshal of England; and from him, in the female line, descended the Mowbrays, dukes of Norfolk. The parish is bounded on the south and west by the river Aire, and comprises by computation rather more than 2000 acres, of which 607 are in the township of Brotherton, 850 in that of Byrome with Pool, and 750 in the township of Sutton. The soil is generally fertile, and the surface pleasingly undulated, in some parts rising to considerable elevations; limestone of very superior quality is quarried for the supply of the neighbouring district, and there are many kilns for burning it into lime. Extensive works were established in 1840, by James Kelsall and Company, for the manufacture of glass-bottles of every description. Facility of conveyance is afforded by the river Aire, which is navigable here, and by the York and North-Midland railway, which passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8.; net income, £192; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church, erected in 1300, was almost entirely rebuilt in 1843, at a cost of £3250, of which £2000 were given by the Ramsden family, to whose ancestors there are some good monuments. In the chancel is a monument to Stephen Owen, vicar, who was deprived of his benefice by the usurper Cromwell; also one to the Rev. Charles Daubuz, a French refugee, and author of a Commentary on the Revelations, who was vicar of the parish, and died in 1717. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.