Brookesby (St. Michael)
BROOKESBY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Melton-Mowbray, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 20 inhabitants. This place, which now comprises only one farmhouse, anciently belonged to the family of Villiers; the manor subsequently descended to the Wyndhams, the present proprietors. The parish is on the river Wreak, and comprises by measurement 830 acres, whereof a small portion is arable, and the remainder pasture and meadow. Here is a station of the Syston and Peterborough railway, 9¼ miles distant from Leicester. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 12. 6., and in the patronage of the Countess of Listowell; net income, £250. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, and in the chancel is an elegant monument of white marble to Sir William and Lady Villiers. George Villiers, the first Duke of Buckingham of that name, was born in 1592, at the family mansion here.