Brooke (St. Peter)

BROOKE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from Norwich; containing 756 inhabitants. It is situated between the rivers Yare and Waveney, and comprises 2119a. 2r. 11p., of which about 1387 acres are arable, 488 pasture and meadow, and 232 wood; the soil varies from a mixed loam to a tenacious clay, and has been much improved by draining. The surface is boldly undulated, and an extensive range of rich meadow land is watered by a stream called the Beck: there are two picturesque lakes, or meres, whose shores are beautifully wooded. The road from Norwich to Bungay runs through the village, in which are several handsome residences. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5, and in the patronage of the Crown; impropriator, the Rev. John Holmes. The tithes have been commuted for £552. 8., of which £390 are paid to the impropriator, £240 to the vicar, £3. 14. to the rector of Kirkstead, and £4. 14. 6. to the rector of Howe; there is a good glebe-house. The church, a very ancient structure, with a circular tower the upper part of which is octagonal, is supposed to have been erected about the year 1000; it consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle, and has the remains of a carved screen, and a font elaborately sculptured with emblems of the seven Roman sacraments. There is a place of worship for Baptists. A town estate, which lets for £100 per annum, is applied chiefly in paying the rates of poor cottagers; and the proceeds of a church estate, amounting to about £80 per annum, are appropriated to the repairs of the church, and the general purposes of the parish. The late Sir Astley Paston Cooper, Bart., the eminent surgeon, was born here in 1768.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, 7th edition, published in 1848.

Navigation

Preface
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z