Brompton-Ralph (St. Mary)
BROMPTON-RALPH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 3½ miles (N.) from Wiveliscombe; containing 492 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 2700 acres, of which 1460 are arable, 760 pasture and meadow, and 120 wood. An act for the inclosure of lands was passed in 1842. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 10. 5., and in the patronage of Gen. Blommant and the Rev. T. Sweet Escott: the tithes have been commuted for £400. The greater part of the church was rebuilt in 1738. Between Combe and Holcombe, in the parish, are vestiges of an encampment supposed to have been constructed by the Romans.