Brompton-Patrick (St. Patrick)
BROMPTON-PATRICK (St. Patrick), a parish, in the union of Leyburn; comprising the townships of Brompton-Patrick and Newton-le-Willows, and part of those of Arrowthorne and Scotton, in the wapentake of Hang-East, and part of the chapelry of Hunton in the wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York; and containing, with the whole of Arrowthorne, Hunton, and Scotton, 1130 inhabitants, of whom 181 are in the township of Brompton-Patrick, 3¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Bedale. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patron, the Bishop of Chester: C. H. Elsley, Esq., is impropriator of the lay rectory, which is valued in the king's books at £34. 13. 1½. Mr. Elsley's tithes in the township of Brompton-Patrick have been commuted for £81, and his glebe consists of 91 acres. The church is an ancient edifice in the decorated English style, and the chancel is particularly admired, but the tower is considered a deformity: tradition relates that the original one having been blown down in a storm, the present was erected, in 1572.