Brompton (All Saints)
BROMPTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Scarborough, Pickering lythe, N. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Sawdon and Troutsdale, and also the township of Snainton, part only of which is in the parish, 1534 inhabitants, of whom 609 are in the township of Brompton, 8 miles (S. W. by W.) from Scarborough. This is said to have been the residence of the kings of Northumberland; and on an eminence called Castle Hill, are the foundations of an ancient castle, about half a mile from which is Gallows' Hill, the place of execution for criminals within the barony. The Cayley family, of whom Sir William Cayley was distinguished for his services to King Charles I. and II., have been located here for more than two centuries. The parish comprises by measurement 10,180 acres, of which about 6000 are arable; the pasture, meadow, and heath cover 4000 acres, and about 180 are wood: the soil varies in quality in different situations, and the scenery in many parts is picturesque and beautiful. Limestone, in which some fossils are found, is quarried for building, for agricultural purposes, and the repair of roads; and a kind of slate is also obtained, used for roofing houses: a factory for bricks, coarse pots, &c., employs about fifteen persons. A fair is annually held for the sale of pigs, from which the name of Swine Brompton is sometimes given to the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12; net income, £103; patron, Sir George Cayley, Bart., to whom the impropriation also belongs: the tithes were commuted in 1768, for land and a money payment. The church, which is one of the most spacious and elegant in the county, is in the decorated style, with a square tower surmounted by a graceful spire. At Snainton is a chapel of ease. There are three places of worship for Wesleyans, and one for Primitive Methodists, John of Brompton, a monkish historian, who compiled a laborious work on the early annals of England, including the period between the years 558 and 1198, is supposed to have been born here: he lived twenty years in the Benedictine abbey of Whitby, during the abbacy of John of Skelton, which commenced in 1413.