BROMPTON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Northallerton, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 1¾ mile (N. N. E.) from Northallerton; containing 1535 inhabitants. In this chapelry is Standard Hill, where the memorable battle of the Standard was fought, on the 23rd of August, 1138; the battle being thus named from a large banner having been placed on a lofty pole, which was fixed on a waggon and borne with the troops. The manufacture of linen is carried on. The living is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Durham, with an income of £120: the chapel is ancient. Tithe rentcharges have been awarded amounting to £590. 0. 7., of which £423. 3. are payable to the impropriators, and £166. 17. 7. to the vicar; the glebe consists of 47 acres. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists; and two schools endowed with £10 per annum each.