Bromley, Great (St. George)
BROMLEY, GREAT (St. George), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Manningtree; containing 738 inhabitants. This parish, which includes an area ten miles in circumference, belonged, at the time of the Norman survey, to Geoffrey de Magnaville. An act for inclosing lands was passed in 1843. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 16. 0½.; net income, £698; patrons, the family of Graham. The church is a handsome and spacious structure, with a lofty tower of elegant design, and consists of a nave, aisles, and chancel, the roofs of which are lofty and beautifully enriched. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.